Not yer typical rum-soaked and soggy bits of graham wafers in chocolate, these puppies are super-rich and, basically, chocolate, on chocolate, on booze.
They’ve been a Yule time tradition chez nous for over a decade and I’m always asked for the recipe once folks have tried them, so here we are.
This recipe makes about 60 boozy balls.
What you need:
- 2 cups of good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups of Oreo cookie crumbs/chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/4 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of booze – rum, whisky, bourbon – pick yer poison
- Cinnamon, cocoa powder, coconut flakes, more cookie crumbs, sprinkles, or whatever for rolling
What you do:
- In a double-boiler system (I just use a large, metal mixing bowl and a pot of water) melt the chocolate chips with the butter and milk, stirring occasionally.
- Once everything is melted and combined, remove from heat and let the mixture cool until lukewarm/no longer too hot to touch.
- Mix in the cookie crumbs and booze.
- Roll into ~1 inch balls.
- Roll the balls in your coating(s) of choice.
- Store in the fridge.
Cook’s notes: I like to make multiple batches with a different booze in each, so I use my coating to differentiate them. Cinnamon with whisky is my favourite.