You know when you come home from the bar and you’ve already eaten half your burrito and decided that the last half will make a great breakfast, but you’re still buzzin’ and want something sweet and to bake a thing because you know it’s the ticket to gearing down enough to actually sleep, but you don’t want to bake a big thing because then you’re committed to eating a big thing over the following days so it doesn’t go bad because then you’ll have the eating a whole lot of sweets kind of guilt and/or the letting something go bad kind of guilt?
We have so much in common!
Why aren’t we dating already?
Anyways, this is the perfect recipe for that, or for just making a little super-moist and delicious carrot cake, which we all know is the cake to end all cakes…perhaps to present someone you should like to date.
What you need:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large carrot (we’re looking for about 1 1/2 cups of grated carrot)
- 1/2 cup of pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1/2 block of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream (milk will do)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
What you do:
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, salt, baking soda and spices together.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir the oil, eggs, sugars and vanilla together.
- Slowly stir the eggs and sugar mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a heart-shaped pan because you’re a queen and you love you (or an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan).
- Stir the carrot, raisins and nuts into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a tester stick comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit for 10 minutes, then turn out into a cooling rack.
- Beat the cream cheese until it’s fluffy.
- Add the sugar, cream and vanilla and beat again until smooth.
- Refrigerate the icing until the cake has cooled.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread the icing over the top (I do just the top because carrot cake is finger food to me).
- Pour yourself and tipple of whisky and dig in.